A Disciple's Guide to Bearing Much Fruit
Pastor Ron Johnson
The people who walked and talked with Jesus were very familiar with ____________ _____________. (See below)
Psalm 80:14-15 Turn again, O God of hosts! Look down from heaven, and see; have regard for this vine, 15 the stock that your right hand planted
Jeremiah 2 Yet I planted you a choice vine, wholly of pure seed. How then have you turned degenerate and become a wild vine?
Isa 5:7 For the VINEYARD of the Lord of hosts IS the house of Israel
A metaphor is a ________ __ __________ that describes an object or action in a way that isn't _________ true, but helps make a direct _______________. Metaphors explain an idea __________ or make a ____________.
John 15:1-8 Jesus as the True Vine (an extended metaphor)
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.
If you are truly a follower of Jesus Christ, he saved you for a purpose and that purpose is to ________ ________ ___________ (vv 2, 4, 5 & 8).
Key Players in John 15:1-8
1) Jesus (the true vine), 2) The vine-dresser (our Fa-ther in Heaven) 3) The branches (some who don’t bear fruit, are taken away and thrown into the fire and others that bear fruit and are pruned to bear more fruit. Pastor Ron’s conviction is that Jesus is speaking of (professing believers and true believers).
Jesus wants us to hear this metaphor and know that
1) If you truly belong to the true vine (Jesus), your Heavenly Father will _________ you. Why? See v 2… That we may ________ _________ _____________.
Ps 119:67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word.
Heb 4:5-7 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? 7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
God's hand is never closer to you (the branch) than when He lovingly and purposefully prunes you in order that you might bear more fruit.
2) Branches that __________ to Jesus and _________ _________ only do so because they ____________ in the true vine.
Abide (a definition): to __________, ____________ or __________ in a particular state or place.
A “working definition” of abiding as it relates to this passage would be _____________ close to Him and ____________ upon Christ daily as we live our lives in an ongoing state of ________________ upon Him.
There is no such thing as a ______________ branch bearing fruit by itself. Unless it's connected to the true vine (Jesus Christ), it produces ____ _________.
APART from REMAINING CLOSE to Jesus and FULLY DEPENDING UPON Him daily, you can do ________!
Jesus wants you to hear His words today and not try to determine whether or not SOMEONE ELSE is a true follower of His, but if YOU ___________ to Him…. If you’re _________ in Him.
Where’s the FRUIT in Your life?
Prompts for Personal Reflection / Application
Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
1) Do I know with certainty that I’m rightly related to the true vine (Jesus Christ)? How do I know that? If you’re not certain, reach out to Pastor Ron or someone you are certain knows Him and can help/pray with or for you.
2) Is this the concept of God “pruning” you if you truly belong to Him a difficult one for you to grasp. If so, If so, why?
3) What’s happening in my life right now that could be described as truly ABIDING in Jesus (the true vine)? Remember, if you are… you’re bearing true spiritual fruit.
4) Take a moment to pray in response to how God spoke to you today through His Word. Is there anything you need to confess, repent of (and in His strength) begin doing differently?