Don't Just Do Something, Sit There
Pastor Pat Boyd
Principles to learn from Mary and Martha...
- Our greatest strengths can become a ________________.
38) As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he
came to a village where a woman named Martha
opened her home to him... 39) But Martha was distracted
by all the preparations that had to be made.”
2. Doing for FOR God is not the same as ________________ Him.
37) Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all
your heart and with all your soul and with all your
mind.’ 38) This is the first and greatest commandment.
39) And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as
yourself.’ Matthew 22:37-39
3. Be teachable when God questions our true _______________.
40) Mary came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that
my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to
help me!” 41) “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you
are worried and upset about many things...” Luke 10:40-41
23) Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and
know my anxious thoughts. 24) See if there is any offensive
way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
4. Make time to _____________ down to be quiet and listen to God.
42) ...but few things are needed—or indeed only one.
Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken
away from her.” Luke 10:42
21) “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will
enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does
the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22) Many will
say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy
in your name and in your name drive out demons and in
your name perform many miracles?’ 23) Then I will tell
them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you
evildoers!’ Matthew 7:21-23
Personal Follow Up Study
Make some time this week to prayerfully and honestly answer the following questions...
1. Take 5 minutes to be quiet and “Be Still” before God.
2. Do you relate to Mary or Martha more in the today’s
Bible passage? Why? __________________________
3. Why are we afraid or uncomfortable about being in
silence or quiet before God?________________________
4. Do you struggle with working FOR God more than
actually spending time getting to know God? What ways
do you struggle? ______________________________
5. How do we find the balance between us ministering
to people and us allowing God to minister to us