Signed, Sealed, Delivered
How to be SURE of our Salvation
Pastor Pat Boyd
“I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” I John 5:13
What Does God Want us to Know for SURE?
1. We can never be good enough to save ourselves.
“1) As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins...
4) Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.” Ephesians 2:1 & 4
“6) You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly...
8) God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:6,8
2. God's motivation for sending Jesus to die for us is love.
“4) But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
5) made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions.” Ephesians 2:4-5
3. We are saved by the free gift of God's grace and not our faith.
“8) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
9) not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
How Can I Know for SURE that I am Saved?
1. I live differently because of the Holy Spirit working in my life
13) When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
14) who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession.” Ephesians 1:13
2. We have confidence in what God says about our salvation.
“9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10) If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.” I John 1:9-10
3. I realize that I can never stop being a child of God.
“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12
4. I want to serve God to show my gratitude not to earn His love.
“14) For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
15) And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them.” II Corinthians 5:14-15
Personal Follow-Up Study
Make some time this week to prayerfully and honestly answer the following questions.
1. Why do people struggle to know they are truly saved?
2. Why do some people think we can lose our salvation?
What does the Bible teach about eternal security?
3. Why is it hard for people to believe that salvation is a
free gift and there is nothing they can do to earn it?
4. Do you struggle with believing you are truly saved?
Why do you struggle? Is it possible to FEEL saved?